Tourism Cares, the industry non-profit with a mission to unite the travel industry to help people and places thrive, has expanded its board of directors, and board committees, to include more representation across travel segments.
As travel heads for a rebound, the travel industry, with the support and leadership from Tourism Cares, must unite around a shared goal to set sustainable tourism at the core of its recovery.
“Tourism Cares is dedicated to the long-term survival of the travel industry, by advancing its positive social, environmental and economic impact,” said Greg Takehara, CEO, Tourism Cares. “To achieve this, we need to collaborate to enact lasting change in the way we do business for the people and places we serve.”
The expanded Tourism Cares board of twenty-one will add to the expertise and leadership representing the breadth of the travel industry.
Newly appointed Chair and co-owner of Tauck, Robin Tauck, enthusiastically leads the board around a shared vision for the future.
“Each of our new board members has a journey and experience that are instrumental at this critical time. Their passion for joining us and achieving sustainable tourism; broadly and boldly, is inspiring and consistent with our spirit of positive change. I thank each of them for their insightful and enthusiastic readiness to join us in making an impact.”
Appointed board members include:
- Bryan Kinkade, VP Publisher, AFAR
- Kathy Misunas, former CEO Sabre and CIO/SVP American Airlines
- Shannon Stowell, CEO, The Adventure Travel Trade Association
- Shayna Zand, Head of Business Development – Americas, Intrepid Group
“As leaders of the travel industry, we have the ability to create lasting change. There has never been a more challenging time in our industry than now,” adds Malia Asfour, Director of the Jordan Tourism Board, North America, and Vice-Chair of Tourism Cares. “The travel industry must come together in collaboration, not competition, to ensure the current and future health of tourism destinations around the world. Tourism Cares has created the space for professionals from every travel sector, from all backgrounds, to unite in ensuring the future prosperity of the people and places who rely on tourism.”
The integration of new voices and representation of our industry grows increasingly important as we tackle immediate and future challenges. Each board member contributes to at least one working committee, but to maximize the utility of the committee structure, the work must extend beyond the board.
Tourism Cares is fortunate to have the following non-board committee members:
- Timothy Chan, Consultant
- Bob Colucci, EVP & CFO, Collette
- Renee Couey, VP Client Experience, Trip Mate
- Elliott Ferguson, President & CEO, Destination DC
- Dan Flores, Vice President Business Development, Maverick Aviation Group
- Jan Hanson, Manager, Prime Division, Amadeus
- Cathleen Johnson, Cathleen Johnson Tourism Consultants, LLC
- Gary Leopold, retired ISM/Connelly Partners; currently, Founding Partner, Prism Advisory Group
- Anne Marie Moebes, Publisher, Travel Market Report
- Cynthia Perry, former Marriott
- Bruce Shulman, Strategic Advisor, Northstar Travel Group, Retail Travel Group, Travel Weekly & TravelAge West
- John Sutherland, Director of Corporate Responsibility, Collette
- Tom Trotta, Vice President, Sales & Partnerships – USA, Allianz Partners