American Express launched the American Express Travel: Global Travel Trends Report, which provides a unique glimpse into consumer sentiment toward travel nearly one year after the COVID-19 pandemic began. Whether you’re dreaming of traveling again, or back on the road, one thing is clear: there’s a pent-up demand for travel and a clear appreciation for the benefits that it can bring.
The report, grounded in survey research across seven international markets and American Express Travel booking data, shares insights into how consumers are looking forward to traveling again, the new travel mindset, and traveling with purpose.
Some top insights include:
- Strong Pent-Up Demand for Travel: 87% of people surveyed said that having a trip planned in the future gives them something to look forward to.
- Ready to Book Now: 63% of respondents said that they are saving their credit card points so they can go on a vacation once they feel comfortable traveling, and 56% said that they miss traveling so much that they are willing to book a trip now even if they might have to cancel it in the future.
- Rise of The Digital Nomad: 54% of respondents said that the freedom and flexibility of being able to live and work while traveling the globe is more appealing now than it was prior to the pandemic.
- Safety is a Priority: 65% of respondents said that they do not plan on traveling until they and their families have received the COVID 19 vaccine.
- Privacy is the New Ultimate Luxury: 75% of respondents agree that the experiences that offer ultimate privacy is becoming a key sought-after feature of luxury travel.
- Increase in Sustainable Travel: 68% of consumers agree they are trying to be more aware of sustainability-friendly travel brands to support.