Italy extends travel ban for Bangladeshis until August 31

Singapore Airlines delays launch of new first class, business class
August 2, 2020
India Extends International Flight Suspension Until September
August 3, 2020

People walk outside Rome's Fiumicino airport as workers demonstrate for better working conditions following the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Rome, Italy July 8, 2020. REUTERS/Remo Casilli

Bangladeshi nationals have allegedly entered Italy with fake Covid-19 certificates after the country re-opened its border, according to local news reports Italy has extended the ban on Bangladeshis entering the country by a month, until August 31.

The ban also includes 15 other countries including Armenia, Bahrain, Brazil, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Chile, Kuwait, North Macedonia, Moldova, Oman, Panama, Peru, the Dominican Republic, Montenegro, Serbia, and Kosovo, reports News.am.

Also, the requirement for mandatory quarantine for those arriving from non-European Union (EU) countries, as well as Romania and Bulgaria, has been extended, Live Italy reported.

This happened for several weeks with immigrants from Bangladesh who live and work in Italy – as a result, all flights from the country were blocked, and Bangladesh was included in the list of 16 countries – originally there were 13 – whose citizens are prohibited to enter Italy, the News report added.

Italy confirmed the line of prudence at the borders, but this did not prevent the fact that in any case, most of the new infections, between 30% and 40%, are linked to foreigners or contacts with foreigners. 

A small proportion is represented by migrants arriving in Italy by boat, which, paradoxically, are easier to control than foreigners who continue to arrive in Italy, formally observing the rules, it said.

On July 16, a press note issued by Bangladesh Ministry of Foreign Affairs said flights to Italy from Bangladesh, along with 12 other countries, had been suspended till July 31.