KSA informs Bangladesh about traditional Hajj cancellation

Qatar Airways network increases to more than 270 weekly flights to over 45 destinations
June 26, 2020
Nepal Airlines reschedules Bangkok-Kathmandu flight to June 23
June 26, 2020

Less than 1,000 pilgrims from home and abroad to be allowed to perform Hajj, Saudi foreign minister tells his Bangladeshi counterpart in a telephone conversation

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has officially informed Bangladesh about the cancellation of traditional Hajj this year.

In a telephone conversation, Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud made it known to his Bangladeshi counterpart Dr AK Abdul Momen on Monday evening that there would be no traditional Hajj this year due to the Covid-19 pandemic situation, the Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday. 

Only a limited number (less than 1000, both domestic and international) of Hajjis (pilgrims) will be allowed to perform Hajj this year, he said. 

2020/06/samsung-june-offer-dt-1170x90-1592483732604.gif

This year’s pilgrimage is scheduled to begin in the evening of July 28 and end in the evening of August 2, subject to the sightings of the moon. Over two million Muslims, including 127,000 from Bangladesh, took part in last year’s Hajj, the largest annual congregation in the world.

The Saudi foreign minister further conveyed that a small number of pilgrims from each Muslim country would be allowed to join the congregation.

Terming the decision “wise” under the circumstances, Foreign Minister Dr Momen thanked the Saudi prince for his call.

Ads