Scraps Traditional New Year’s Eve Celebrations Hong Kong Tourism Board

IndiGo adds 19 domestic and international destinations, Good news for fliers!
December 18, 2019
An Amazing Tourist Spot in Bangladesh
December 19, 2019

Fireworks explode over Victoria Harbour during New Year celebrations in Hong Kong on January 1, 2019. (Photo by AFP) (Photo credit should read /AFP via Getty Images)

Hong Kong has canceled its traditional New Year’s Eve fireworks show over security concerns, the latest popular event to be scrapped in the Asian financial hub amid ongoing pro-democracy protests.

The Hong Kong Tourism Board confirmed Wednesday that the fireworks show had been canceled and would be replaced by an enhanced version of the daily light show that plays over the city’s iconic harbor.

“The HKTB places high importance on public safety of all events it organizes,” the group said in a statement. “In view of the current situation in Hong Kong, we have decided to adopt a new format for this year’s New Year Countdown event.”

The group will have a light show above Victoria Harbor with additional pyrotechnics from the rooftops of participating buildings, it said.

VIOLENT PROTESTS

The Hong Kong Police Force had recommended abandoning the event over fears about holding a large-scale public event at a time when protests are still being planned, according to a police official who declined to be named. The demonstrations have turned violent on occasion in recent months.

The move was earlier reported by the South China Morning Post.

The fireworks show is the latest in a long list of events torpedoed amid the city’s ongoing political unrest, including major business conferences, races, big-ticket concerts and and a major music festival.